
The popular game Dead by Daylight features a lot of well-known horror characters, including Freddy Krueger, Ghostface, Alan Wake, Albert Wesker, and Nicolas Cage. One iconic killer has been missing for a long time, though: Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th. After being left out for nearly ten years, it looks like he’s finally joining the game, as hinted in a recent trailer.
So, they dropped this teaser after that crazy livestream of… a shed? Honestly, it doesn’t actually show any gameplay. It’s more like a creepy little movie meant to build hype and let us know Jason Voorhees is coming to Dead by Daylight. The good news is we won’t have to wait long – the trailer says he’s joining the game on June 16th, right after the game’s 10th anniversary! Behaviour Interactive isn’t giving away all the details just yet, but I’m expecting they’ll show off his powers and how he plays pretty soon.
For years, players have been asking for Jason Voorhees to be added to the game, as he’s a perfect fit and clearly inspired the existing character, The Trapper, who’s often featured in advertising. Leading up to the game’s 10th anniversary, speculation focused on either Jason or Pennywise from IT as the next Killer. Considering how many horror icons are already playable in Dead by Daylight, it feels likely Pennywise will eventually join them.
Dead by Daylight‘s Jason DLC Has Been a Long Time Coming
Jason Voorhees, the iconic horror villain, has appeared in popular games like Mortal Kombat X, Call of Duty, Fortnite, and MultiVersus. However, complicated legal issues have restricted how often and where he can appear, especially in violent scenarios. The rights to Friday the 13th are split between several parties – the production company New Line Cinema, the original screenwriter Victor Miller, and the original director Sean S. Cunningham – creating a tangled web of ownership. Although Miller gained the rights to the original script in the US in 2021 after a long court battle, the overall rights to the franchise remain fragmented and confusing.
A legal battle severely hampered Friday the 13th: The Game, a popular 2017 online horror game. Gun Media, the publisher, announced in June 2018 that the lawsuit made releasing new downloadable content impossible, both then and going forward. The game was removed from digital stores on December 31st, 2023, and its online servers were shut down a year later. Although other similar online games like Predator: Hunting Grounds, Killer Klowns from Outer Space: The Game, and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre exist, many players have hoped to see Jason Voorhees return to this type of game, especially given how the 2017 title was unexpectedly discontinued.
Mathieu Cote, the director, recently discussed the challenges of adding Jason Voorhees to Dead by Daylight. While admitting there’s a chance it could happen – stating the possibility is “more than zero” – he explained that securing the necessary rights is a difficult and potentially costly process. He’s previously said Jason was always welcome to join the game, but the rights issues remain a significant hurdle.
As a huge Friday the 13th fan, I was so excited to hear about Jason Universe! It sounds like it was created to really kickstart a whole new wave of content for the franchise. Basically, getting all the legal stuff sorted out means we can finally look forward to new games, movies, and even TV shows! And it’s awesome that they can now include Jason and other elements from Friday the 13th in games like Dead by Daylight – it’s a dream come true!
Read More
- Mark Zuckerberg & Wife Priscilla Chan Make Surprise Debut at Met Gala
- Elon Musk’s Mom Maye Musk Shares Her Parenting Philosophy
- 10 Greatest Manga Endings of All Time
- GBP CNY PREDICTION
- Forza Horizon 6 Car List So Far: Confirmed Highlights, Cover Cars, DLC, and Rewards
- Ranking the 5 Best Spring 2026 Anime So Far (Mid-Season Update)
- Review: Final Fantasy Tactics: The Ivalice Chronicles (PS5) – Still the Benchmark for Turn-Based Tactics
- 10 Best Free Games on Steam in 2026, Ranked
- Miranda Kerr Shares “Quick” Procedure She Got Before Met Gala 2026
- Elon Musk’s Ex Ashley St. Clair Reveals When Romance Became “Weird”
2026-05-23 18:10